Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bridging the Gap



Easing into my meditative self-led yoga session tonight, I began to ponder a seemingly intangible and unanswerable question.  How do we go about bridging the gap between our true potential in life and the self-defeating habits that block us or keep us stuck?  
The realization that I have gradually come to is that none of us is afraid of who we cannot be but rather of all that we can and already are.  We are all spiritual beings, capable of boundless and infinite love but the majority of our lives is spent with little awareness of this fact.  We search and search outside of ourselves to fill the void, to fulfill some need or desire, but ultimately we are searching outside of ourselves for what only resides within.  
Though we may find something, whether it's in food, relationships, work or money that may temporarily fill this void, it does not last.  We all know this, whether intuitively or not.  We all have these "bad" habits, subconscious and ego-driven desires and addictions.  

For me, this addiction has been to food mainly, the self-soothing, self-comforting escape from reality.  This almost innate instinct of mine to turn to food in times of stress, anger, sadness, anxiety and even happiness almost instantaneously coincides with the urge.  It is a feeling of powerlessness brought on by the intense and overwhelming urge to engage in the behavior. 

I am beginning to become more and more aware of this almost programmed, conditioned nature of mine to turn to food when these emotions become unmanageable.  Having gone to years upon years of therapy, I am finally able to pinpoint what I have taken away from all the money and time spent analyzing my pattern of thoughts and behavior.

As a result of environmental and genetic influences, I learned early on to turn to food to deal with any sort of intense emotion.  Never learning the proper, effective and healthy way of coping with these feelings, I reached outside of myself to some tangible thing I could rely on.  This habit of behavior ingrained into my neural connections, forming a strong association between emotions and food.  

But before I get in too deep about my past, I think it is safe to say that the majority of us can relate to this pattern of addiction, in one way or another.  In whatever shape, form or flavor it comes in, the majority of us are somehow stuck in some habitual self-defeating way of thinking or behaving.  

What I am beginning to look into now after having gained insight into these subconscious urges of mine, is how do we go from being aware of these tendencies to actually changing them?  How do we bridge this gap between awareness of these self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviors to replacing them with self-serving ones?

I am fully aware that a convincing subconscious belief of mine is the "I am not good enough" or "I am unlovable or unworthy" and that I need to somehow prove my worth.  I am also aware that the subconscious behavior of mine to turn to food arises in times when I need this temporary self-soothing feeling it gives me.  Yet, I also intuitively know that the food is not what I am truly after.

It is not the external things we so desperately cling onto and reach for time and time again that give us what we really need or what we really desire.  We all on some level desire to feel that love, that compassion, that complete acceptance of all that we are.  Yet, I still struggle to know this, this truth on the deep, subconscious level.

I see these "flaws" of mine (the eating disorder, the incongruence between my health and my deep-held value of being healthy as well as the ever-present anxiety) and I get sucked into their poison.  Focusing on these "negative" qualities, I bury myself deeper and deeper into this hole.  Until, my intuition or my spiritual part of me, my authentic self finally gets through and is able to awaken me to my truth, that I am whole, that the real me does not need fixing.  We are all enough.  I am enough and you are enough.  In fact, we are more than enough.  

We have all this potential to love and be loved yet we are sadly more often than not preoccupied with the ego's distractive trap.  We are not afraid of our limitations but rather of our infinite potential.  Yet, as much as I try, my mind still struggles to intuitively accept this fact.  

Though on some level, I am aware, I am left to continue pondering the steps to take to bridge this gap.  For until this void is closed, I know I will remain stuck in old habitual ways of thinking and behaving, not fully able to accept all that I am or see that we all already have the tools we need to create the life we want and deserve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or reply to any posts on this blog! I welcome any feedback. Also, feel free to use this comment box as a way to connect with me and ask any questions about my writing, personal journey or Reiki offerings:)