Monday, January 30, 2012

Cling to Nothing

I am reading this very insightful book right now called Buddha's Nature.  One phrase especially caught my eye: "Develop a mind that clings to nothing."  When I take a step back from this phrase, the meaning to me rests in detachment: detachment from material possessions, food, end results, thoughts, feelings, the list goes on and on.  When we detach from something, the object or idea loses its weight its "heavy" feeling.  I especially find myself doing this with future events.  I fixate on a certain outcome, automatically forming an attachment to it through my desire and longing.  The desire itself is not the problem though, rather the attachment to the desire.  Once we recognize this and become mindful of how our day to day attachments play into our emotions, we begin to cultivate change in our thought pattern and slowly detach.  Everything in life I'm realizing is constantly changing, from day to day even from moment to moment.  I think it's about observing each moment, each desire, then letting it pass on by.  Retraining my mind, any mind, is a challenge in and of itself.  For now, realizing these truths is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, share or reply to any posts on this blog! I welcome any feedback. Also, feel free to use this comment box as a way to connect with me and ask any questions about my writing, personal journey or Reiki offerings:)